Monday, March 30, 2009

Handling Rejection

So, there are a number of ways one can handle rejection. Wallow in it, get over it, learn from it or my personal favorite, pretend it didn't even happen and continue as planned.


Let face it, I am breaking into the world of dating with a vengeance. It has been so many years since I have attempted to date, and date good guys, who go to church and have callings and hold the priesthood and all that good stuff. 

I see someone I think is interesting, and by God, I am going to do something about it! My first attempt was full of anxiety and nervousness. This was strange for me because boys do not make me nervous, but good Mormon boys do. I know how to seduce and flirt with not good boys, that's easy. However, I am discovering that it takes a certain finesse to break into the mold of 'potential girlfriend' for a good guy. Especially in a culture that is so wrapped up in getting married and getting married now! 

I don't want to get married right now, I want to meet someone that I can stand to be around who can stand to be around me, then maybe we can date for a little bit and hold hands, then maybe we can be each others significant other and kiss a little. Then one day we can decide to get married if we feel like that would work out, but not until then.

Deciding that I might like someone is kind of a big deal, I am pretty much used to feeling numb and indifferent to every guy I meet. Something was a little different with this one. So I asked him out. Long story short, three informative dates later, I still like the guy, but have no idea if he thinks I am more interesting than a lump of dirt. Apparently he doesn't. Here I am, in the friend zone. Too bad, coz I am amazing. Alas, I have been rejected.

I decide to get over it and move on. The next day I learn from it, my girl squad comes over and talks me down, 'His loss' they say, 'there is someone else out there for you' they say. I feel better, its not a big deal, they are all so proud of me for even having the balls to ask someone I barely know out. I'm feeling good about the whole situation. Then the next day I decide to wallow in it, nothing that a couple of cupcakes, a box of oreo's, a half gallon of milk and some Jane Austin can't cure. Wow, I never felt like such a stereotype in my whole life. I wake up this morning with a stomach ache and a new outlook on life. Rejection, what rejection? No one rejects me, especially someone who barely knows me. Besides, I got a phone number yesterday, and it is quite possible that another pursuit may begin and end in this exact same manner. But so what? The plan will continue, unabated. 

3 comments:

Elisa said...

Right on, Judith. You are hardcore. (And it's true: his loss.)

BTW, I love the banner on top of your blog. Makes me miss home.

Us in a paragraph said...

You go girl!

Amber said...

Awesome, Judith. It's not the end of the world if you get rejected. (but it's totally his loss, especially for someone that barely knows you, 'cause your AMAZING! Duh!)